The rules would be:
1. Your book has to be in the style of an 80s movie. ie. It should use tropes that were common in the 80s. For example, a muscular hero in an action book, or a pining best friend in a romance title, who’s the real love that the hero hasn’t seen all along.
2. Your book has to feature the series name “Eighties Movies” and a volume number determined by me on a first published basis.
3. Your book can be as silly and shlocky as you like. This is the 80s, remember. My tip would be write it fast, do a few minimal story fixes, copy-edit and publish. If people say it’s bad, well it’s meant to be, this is the 80s.
4. You don’t owe me or anyone else royalties for writing in the series.
5. But don’t rip off someone else’s idea for a book.
6. Stories can be any length.
7. Stories can be any price.
8. Every book has to feature a trailers section at the back. The trailers section has to feature 3 book thumbnails and blurbs of 3 other books in the 80s movie series not by you. The trailers can also feature 1 book by you. (All of those provided they exist when publishing).
9. This is not a parody series. Don’t write a spoof version of a movie that exists. You can, however, write something close to something that exists. (Like Hardware was for Terminator, for example).
I’ve set up a community for it here:
Please join if you’re interested.
Get Into The Action
For a limited time, I'm giving away the first two books in the Bytarend Fantasy series and the Hard Vacuum science fiction series for free.
Bytarend is fast, fun fantasy that'll have you on the edge of your seat. Hard Vacuum is hard-talking, violent science fiction and my tribute to 80s action movies.
Grab all four books for free: